Limited Edition by LVMH Vins d’Exception (Case No. 10 of 80)
Krug x Yquem
A Limited Edition by LVMH Vins d’Exception
We are delighted to announce the upcoming release of the first Limited Edition by LVMH Vins d’Exception in the form of a “double trilogy” from the fabulous consecutive vintages 1988, 1989 & 1990 interpreted by Maison Krug and Château d’Yquem, released after 30 years of maturation in their cellars. Only 80 cases (6x75cl) could be produced. They will be made available on Wednesday 18th November through our selected distribution partners Maison Joanne and CVBG. Each case (numbered 1\80) contains 1 bottle of:
Krug Collection 1988 Château d’Yquem 1988
Krug Collection 1989 & Château d’Yquem 1989
Krug Collection 1990 Château d’Yquem 1990
The House of Krug was established in Reims in 1843, by Joseph Krug, a visionary non-conformist with an uncompromising philosophy. Having understood that the true essence of Champagne is pleasure itself, his dream was to craft the very best Champagne he could offer, every single year regardless of climate variation. He believed “a good Champagne House should only create two Champagnes of the same level of distinction.” In his dark cherry personal notebook, he spoke of Champagne Number 1 and Champagne Number 2. The former is known today as Krug Grande Cuvée – the most generous expression of Champagne – while the latter, which he described as the ‘Champagne of circumstances’ became Krug Vintage, a selection of the wines which best express the circumstances of a given year, Champagnes created only when that year has an interesting story to tell.
A very limited number of bottles of Krug Vintage are kept over 20 years on the lees in ideal conditions in the House’s cellars. They are tasted and appraised as they wait to blossom into a second life. Krug Vintage then becomes Krug Collection and reveals a new personality, at which point the bottles are disgorged and rest again for over a year before finally emerging from the cellars. Krug Collection Champagnes are true examples of time sublimation; maturity exposes hidden facets and depth. New flavours surprise, while old ones have gained structure. Krug Collection is always a wonderful discovery, a deeper story of the Krug Vintage.
It is very rare for the House to find a story to tell on three consecutive years, a trilogy. This phenomenon has only happened twice in the history of the House. The 1988, 1989 and 1990 trilogy was Krug’s first.
As the timing of when we present a Champagne is based on individual tastings by the Cellar Master, both Krug Vintage and Krug Collection were presented in an atypical order: 1989, 1990 and then 1988.
- Krug Collection 1989: The second life of Krug 1989, a mature, expressive, long lasting, and silky Champagne as the result of contrasting year ending with very warm summer.
- Krug Collection 1990: The second life of Krug 1990, which is a blend of very complete and balanced wines of great architecture.
- Krug Collection 1988: The second life of Krug 1988, a beautiful Champagne of extreme elegance and refinement with perfect roundness and length.
We hope you will enjoy these exceptional creations and that the moments they will
accompany become all the more memorable.
PRESIDENT & CEO, HOUSE OF KRUG
Château d’Yquem, the one and only premier cru supérieur in the 1855 classification, is the purest expression of the miracle that is noble rot.
Yquem owes its origins to the unique alchemy which occurs between man, earth and a microscopic fungus known as Botrytis cinerea, essential to the perilous task of crafting this magnificent, gold-draped wine.
On this storied terroir, our ambition has remained unchanged for centuries: to produce outstanding wines, requiring a whole vine to make just one glass, and only when nature allows!
The fabulous Château d’Yquem trilogy:
- 1988, a year in which the noble rot spread smoothly and consistently until mid- November, allowing for six passes, all of great quality. Irresistibly soft, this is without a doubt one of the greatest ever vintages of Yquem. A truly legendary wine.
- 1989, an early and quick-ripening vintage. A powerful, muscular wine with all of the rare qualities we look for in an outstanding vintage, blessed with a seemingly infinite ageing capacity (in the same vein as 1929, 1947, 1949).
- 1990, Exceptional weather conditions, a perfect harvest and an extraordinary, incredibly accomplished vintage. The results are simply grandiose. A fabulous wine which leaves a lasting impression thanks to its inimitable combination of power, purity and harmony.
“Three rare vintages, three of the estate's greatest achievements, three different expressions of the magic of the Yquem terroir.
It is a true pleasure to give lovers of fine wines the opportunity to discover these sumptuous vintages at last. For thirty years they have been preciously tucked away in the cellars of Château d’Yquem, in preparation for three unforgettable tasting experiences.”
PRESIDENT & CEO, Château d’Yquem